Thursday, July 3, 2014

Reputation



 James Gordon Bennett, of the New York Herald, in a time of great pecuniary distress, soon after establishing his paper, borrowed three hundred dollars of a black man; and now he is one of our most relentless enemies. Thus it is that those who fattened upon us often turn round and traduce us: Reputation is, indeed, dear to every nation and race; but to us, the colored people of this country, who have so many obstacles to surmount, it is doubly dear:--

                    "Who steals my purse steals trash;
                    'Twas mine, 'tis his, and has been slave to thousands;
                    But he who filches from me my good name,
                    Robs me of that which not enriches him,
                   And makes me poor indeed."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh yeah?

Tweets by @hotchocolatefox