Friday, April 12, 2013

Welfare "Here, take this money and good luck"


Here’s a little story I’d like to tell.  I have experienced, first hand, on what the system of welfare is all about.  I applied for the money, TANF (temporary assistance to needy families) on June 25, 2012.
I attended an orientation session that is suppose to inform you about all the ins’ and outs’ and the outs and ins’ of getting TANF, the money, the temporary assistance for my needy family.

I have not worked since June, 2011. I have a college degree and one child I had to apply for TANF this June 2012. This is the first time in my life I have not been able to find work fairly quickly. After exhausting my family and friends with “can you help me” I had to try TANF, I had no other real choice, every little bit helps right? I did everything that was required but was deemed non-compliant for these four reasons:
1. I was considered absent for one half day because I attended an orientation for Georgia’s WIA initiative where I could complete a 12 week certification course to add to my IT degree
2. I took a test for a county job that counted against me as another half day absent
3. I planned my first job search allowing for travel time because I was using the public transit system
4. I neglected to put times of each visit to each place I went looking for a job the second week of looking for a job

I had completed nearly all of the 45 day waiting period to get the money. With one week left, I went to pick up the free transit pass and was informed I would not be getting the pass or the money for the reasons listed above, and the only option I had was to re-apply, this was clearly incorrect handling of a case of temporary assistance to a needy family.

I was also told by a case manager that I had to “play the game” and that their goal is not to give me the money.
See the story about a Georgia girl and the TANF welfare subsidy @ http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/19/breakdown-tanf-need

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh yeah?

Tweets by @hotchocolatefox